Thursday, March 20, 2008

"Lana" Yarn Shop, Frankfurt

"Lana" is a tiny shop owned by Katja LeJeune in Frankfurt's upscale shopping area near the Opera. It is surrounded by cafes, restaurants, and stores like Prada, Akris, Jaeger, Lalique, Salvatore Ferragamo, and other chic boutiques. Walking space inside is maybe 10x10 feet, yet it is fully stocked with beautiful yarn, knitted garments, knitting booklets, and buttons that Katja has collected over the years. I was intrigued by her storage solutions: lots of drawers, shelves, and built-in cases that show sample yarn on the outside and store stock when pulled out.

Lana

Lana

Lana


We went there at least three times - most of the shops are open until 8 or 8:30 these days - and Katja always wore something she'd made.

In a Noro suit-

Katja LeJeune, Lana Yarn Store

In her own design

Katja LeJeune, Lana Yarn Store


The last day I saw her, she had on a pair of low slung jeans with boots and mid-calf cardigan. Casual chic.

We would recognize the yarn she carried - Anny Blatt, Lang, Lana Grossa, Gedifra, and Noro, among others - yet I've never seen the selections or lines anywhere in the States. We would call many of them novelty yarns, wool and silk stranded with metallic and/or ribbon yarn, sometimes studded with sequins. When knit up, these yarns are subtle, feminine and glamourous. I will be more open-minded about novelty yarn now.

My colleague and knitting buddy, Michelle, bought Katja's last 11 balls of this:


'Anny

'Anny


It's Anny Blatt Odysee in "Lagoon." I love it and can't find it anywhere in the States. Yes, we've Googled it. Gedifra makes a colorway almost exactly like it, and I can't it here either. That it's new for spring might have something to do with it. We'll keep looking.

I bought these to crochet some necklaces like the ones Katja had on display. It's Noro "Daria" and Lang "Lame."

Lana



Katja's Crochet Necklaces


I bought this for a summer shell. Kind of nondescript in the ball, but it knits up beautifully.


Lana Grossa Pallone

Lana Grossa Pallone

Lana Grossa Pallone

It's made like the Anny Blatt above with little pebbles enveloped in mesh.

Finally I bought this Lana Grossa booklet. Click on the link to see the contents.

lana grossa booklet



Next: "Unikat"

4 comments:

  1. Wow that yarn shop was very unique and you know I LUV her Noro suit!!!!!!!

    That pebble yarn will make a nice summer garment!

    Thanks for always being so detailed about your travels. I truly do it vicarously thru you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time I'm goin with ya! I never thought I'd think that germany was exotic but that yarn shop and the noro outfit is so totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Noro suit?? Man, that's beautiful.

    So glad to hear you're going to be more open minded about novelty yarn. Do I sense some fun fur in your future? ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try and visit your recommendations and let you know if they are still here, I cannot find Lana on Google so maybe she closed down. The largest one Rolle something is still here and will find out this weekend if Unikat is still around. thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...