Sunday, August 14, 2011

To Powder or Not to Powder

During a makeover earlier this year, a friend asked me which powder I use. I have oily skin but counter to instinct, I use as little powder as possible, because I don't like the flat, heavy, matte look most powders give you.  After applying foundation and before eye shadow, I dust my face with T. LeClerc loose powder, using a powder brush. Whenever I develop a shine during the day, I use blotting papers to absorb excess oil. Since I started using Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge and Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint, I rarely use powder after blotting. Both have great staying power, even in DC's hot, humid weather. They never run.

T. LeClerc loose powder is the only one I’ve used that is truly translucent. It comes in a 25g hand-sealed metal tin, and has a little sifter inside. A little goes a long, long way. I’ve only used a third of the product in two years. The last tin I bought lasted 5 years or so, which, at $50 per tin, is $10 a year.






Of the range of colors, I use Chair Ambree, described on the T.LeClerc website as rosy beige. It may look very pink on the site, but because it is so translucent, it just adds a flattering glow. It’s available at Barney’s, which is now selling a travel box for $45, and Blue Mercury, both online and in store.

My current favorite blotter is made by Tatcha.  Because they are bigger than most I can blot my entire face with one sheet.


They have the kind of texture that reminds me of the Habu linen paper yarn I love so much.  The sheets are porous enough to absorb the oil from my face, yet not so fragile that they begin to crumble as the others do.  I've experimented with other blotting papers that have a bit of powder on them including Shiseido and other smaller papers, but they sometimes leave traces of that powder evident on the face. With Tatcha, I can blot without looking, confident that I look OK. I've seen the Tatcha papers online (free shipping), Beauty Habit, Bendels, and SpaceNK online and at their store in New York.

My aunt told me this summer that she cuts up shoe box tissue to use as blotters.  I thought that was genius!

Updated with new photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...