Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dolce and Gabbana Femme Fatale Eyeshadow Quad



Dolce and Gabbana's Dustin Lujan, at Saks in New York, choose Femme Fatale to use in my makeover weekend before last. I would never have chosen it on my own. There are gazillion taupe quads out there, but they aren't all equalFemme Fatale, as you can see, contains a winter white, mauvish taupe, medium and dark brown.  The difference between this one and the others I've tried is the rich pigmentation, which makes all the difference, the finely milled texture, and the amount of shimmer added. 




The mauvish taupe is an excellent, if unexpected, base for the medium and dark browns in the quad.  It isn't noticeably mauve on the eyelid and has enough pink and gold shimmer to keep it from looking flat, giving it a satin finish instead.  The medium and dark brown shadows are matte, richly pigmented, and finely milled, making them super easy to blend.  They feel almost creamy when blending with fingers.  The degree of pigmentation makes them look as though actual shadows are cast on my eyes, instead of blocks of ash sitting atop my skin as so many others have.  The medium brown is dark enough for me to use in the crease for a nice office look; the darker brown creates a more dramatic look.  Both also look great as liners, dry or wet.  The winter white has just enough shimmer to give it depth, but not so much that it appears as a gash of metallic silver under your brow, or so little that it is just a blot of white.  There was a tiny bit of fall out when applying the darkest brown as a dry liner, but none from the other colors.  I noticed just the slightest bit of fading after eight hours. 



These swatches were applied with the sponge applicators that came with the quad.  The medium and dark browns can be built up to much darker shades, the darkest one almost black.  I love that all four colors in this quad will work beautifully for a wide range of skin tones, from the fairest to the darkest.  Here's another staple for my arsenal.


 
 
 
Dustin used Stromboli in these photos, an olive green liner shot with gold flecks, which I liked a lot.  I'll swatch Stromboli for you in another post.   I'm going try using other liner colors with this neutral quad to achieve different looks.  It has been so overcast here lately that I decided to inject some brightness in my makeup this week.  I used Femme Fatale with the Stromboli liner, LMdB Peau Vierge Anti-Aging Complex as my foundation, a bronzer, and the golden Dolce and Gabbana lipgloss named simply Gold (pictured in this post) over a light rust-colored lip liner.  My face looked bright, and I felt bright!  
 
I bought Femme Fatale from Dustin Lujan at Saks.  Call him at 212-940-4949 to consult about products and especially colors since those shown online are not entirely inaccurate.  Or visit him in the store.  Tell him I sent you!
 

8 comments:

  1. perfect neutrals: I like that brand's eyeshadows the most

    ReplyDelete
  2. birkinbagbeauty, aren't they great? This is my first D&G quad; I'm looking forward to exploring more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this quad Ava! I don't own any D&G and thought I never would, but now that it's sold at Sephora I might finally get my chance! This palette (as well as the gorgeous coral-red 'Sole' blush) will be coming home with me soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toyarosie, I'm still amazed at this quad! I like to change it up with different base colors and eyeliner. Hope you like it as much and "Sole" too. It's gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing! I love these colors and your tips at the end for brightening the look up. This is definitely going on my next shopping list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor, You'll love it! I've been using it almost everyday since I bought it.

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...